About the Department:
The Department of Geology in Osmania University (OU) originated as one of the sections in Civil Engineering in the University College of Engineering during the academic year 1934-35. It was subsequently attached to the University College of Science during the year 1936-37 with Sri. S. M. Ahameduddin as Head of the Department. During the initial stages, Geology was offered as one of the optional subjects at Intermediate (10+2 standard) and Undergraduate (B.Sc.) levels. Later during the year 1950-51, the Intermediate course was shifted to the Saifabad Science College, O.U. However, the B.Sc. course with geology continued in the Department of Geology, Science College till 1971-72. The M.Sc. course in Geology in the University College of Science, OU was started during the academic year 1955-56 under the guidance of Prof. S. Bhagavantham, the then Vice-Chancellor of O.U. who taught 'crystallography' to the first batch students. The foundation stone for a permanent building for the Department was laid on 18th December 1959 which has been fondly celebrated annually by the Osmania Geology Alumni Association (OGAA) as the foundation day of the Department. During the year 1960, the Department had hosted National Geophysical Research Institute (NGRI), Hyderabad which is now regarded as one of the premier earth science research institutions in the world. A post M. Sc. 3-semester, job-oriented course called M. Sc. (Tech) in Hydrogeology, a first of its kind in the country, was started during the year 1970-71 which continued till 2003-04 and the products of this course made a mark in groundwater exploration and management in the country and abroad. A 'Post-P G Diploma in Geoinformatics in Earth Science' (PPGDGES) was started by the Geological Survey of India Training Institute (GSITI), GSI, Southern Region, Hyderabad under MoU (and affiliation) with the Department of Geology, OU during the academic year 2011-12. The Department was fortunate that Dr. Sarvepalli Raghakrishnan, the former President of India, has visited the Geology, Museum in the Department of 3rd August 1963. The following pioneers of earth science had visited the Department on various academic occasion : Dr. C. Mahadevan, T Mahadevan, B P Radhakrishna, M N Viswanathaiah, C. S. Pichamuthu, Leelananda Rao, D. N. Wadia, O. P. Verma, A. P. Subrahmanyam, Rhode, Jinghren, C. E. Nehru, Kilpade, Dekate, A. K. Sinha, K. Naha, Harinarayan, Seshgiri Rao, and many more including foreign Academicians. The Department has continued to grow to the present status with the effective planning and execution that is 'unique-toindividual' successive Heads of the Department.
At present the Department is offering four semesters (two years) M.Sc. Geology course (CBCS), a two semester P.G. Diploma course in Groundwater Resource Evaluation sponsored U.G.C. New Delhi under UGC-Innovative Programme. A two semester P.G. Diploma in Geo- Informatics in collaboration with Geological Survey of India. The Department is also offering Ph.D. programme (full time and part time) in various branches of Geology. Department Faculty is actively engaged in research projects. Department is UGC-SAP-DRS-I recognized by the UGC. New Delhi & DST- FIST sponsored.